top of page

Hillel Voter Information Center


Register to Vote in Wisconsin or Back Home!

You will need to register or re-register if:

  • You are a first-time voter

  • You have moved to a new address (or even changed apartment numbers) since you last voted

  • You have changed your legal name since the last time you voted


How to Register (Click an Option!)​

  1. Online (in Wisconsin) (Must be done at least 20 days in advance of election day)

  2. By Mail (in Wisconsin) (Must be done at least 20 days in advance of election day)

  3. Register on Election Day in Wisconsin (Must bring valid proof of residence)

  4. Register out of State

In order to be eligible to vote you:

  • Are a U.S. Citizen

  • Will be at least 18 at the time of the election

  • Have a WI driver license or a WI state identification card

  • Have resided at your current residential address for at least 28 consecutive days prior to the next election with no present intent to move

  • Cannot be currently serving a sentence for a felony conviction, including probation, parole, or supervision

  • Cannot be otherwise disqualified from voting

Note that all on-campus voting locations (Smith, the Nick, Gordon, Lowell, the Chazen, Memorial Union, Dejope, and Eagle Heights) will allow you to register to vote and obtain voter ID on election day so long as you have valid proof of residence.



BadgersVote is a campus-wide initiative that strives to provide University of Wisconsin–Madison students with everything they need to know in order to participate in their elections. The BadgersVote Coalition is comprised of many individuals, units and departments across campus and the city of Madison.

To get involved, click here!

Why vote in Wisconsin as an out-of-state student? 

Your voting process will be easy! You can vote in person early or on election day, and don’t have to worry about an absentee ballot arriving on time to your home state

You will be voting in the state and locality where you spend the most time and see the daily news. And since the university is a public school, legislation voted on in Wisconsin elections has the potential to affect your education.

Wisconsin is a swing state. This means that your vote has more sway in election outcomes than if you live in a consistently red or blue state.

If I don't want to register in Wisconsin, how do I go about voting for my home state through an absentee ballot?

Each state will differ. In most states, you will need to request an absentee ballot to vote in each election. Click here for more information, and click here to be taken to your state's absentee voting page.


Hillel Civic Events

Stay up to date on Hillel Civic Events & Opportunities by emailing us!


Upcoming Election Info

Wisconsin Elections:

  • Wisconsin State Primary - Tuesday, August 13th, 2024

  • General Election – Tuesday, Nov. 5, 2024 


You can only vote once per election cycle, in one location. You cannot vote in Madison AND a separate home district.

You can only vote at your polling place on election day.

Click Here to Find Out Where You Vote!

Click Here to See What's on Your Ballot


Voter Identification & Requirements

Acceptable forms of identification include a valid Wisconsin driver’s license, Wisconsin state ID, U.S. passport, U.S. Uniformed Services card, Veterans Affairs ID, tribal ID or Certificate of Naturalization.

The address on your ID does not matter; the purpose of presenting your ID at the polls is to prove your identity. 

Students without one of the forms of ID listed above can obtain a UW–Madison voter-compliant ID card free of charge, which is valid on its own if it’s unexpired. If your voter-compliant ID card is expired, present it at the polls together with a Voter Enrollment Verification letter .

To get a voter compliant ID by electronically, Email from your email address, put “Voter ID Needed” in the subject line, and attach a picture of your Wiscard to the email.

You will receive a PDF of the voter-compliant ID, which you must print out and sign.


Useful Resources

Click Here for Voting Guides for all 50 States

Text Service

Students and members of the campus community are encouraged to sign-up for the new BadgersVote Text alert to be kept up-to-date on elections and civic engagement.

Simply text the word BadgersVote to the number 47020.

bottom of page